In our last post, we encouraged you to prepare the Spicy Maryland Crab Dip so you could serve it as an appetizer for your family and friends while watching the upcoming Super Bowl game. But if you want to make your stomach happy, you will also need to cook a tasteful main course. Since the Super Bowl game will take place in New Orleans, why not celebrate it by enjoying one of New Orleans most traditional dishes? In just 30 minutes, you will be able to taste a real flavorful New Orleans dish by preparing a Chicken Po’ Boy from CDKitchen.com:
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless, chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 loaf (8 ounce size) Italian bread split in half vertically
- 4 tablespoons tartar sauce, recipe follows
- 2 cups (4 ounces) shredded iceberg lettuce
- 8 ounces ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
Ingredients for the Tartar Sauce:
- 1 scallion (green onion) trimmed of 2 inches of green
- 1 small sour dill pickle
- 1/4 cup (packed) washed parsley leaves
- 2 cups mayonnaise, low fat or regular
- 1 teaspoon Creole or Dijon mustard
- salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dredge the chicken in bread crumbs. In a large skillet heat the butter. When the foaming subsides, brown the chicken on all sides for about 10 minutes or until cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the chicken is cooking, slice the bread in half vertically and then in half again horizontally and pull out all of the soft bread crumbs to create boat-like shells.
- Spread each “bread boat” with tartar sauce, top with chicken nuggets, then with shredded lettuce and tomato slices. Slice each piece in half again.
*TARTAR SAUCE: In a food processor or blender mince the scallion, pickle and parsley, then puree with mayonnaise and mustard and season with salt and cayenne pepper.