• Sit down with your cookbooks or the internet to create a three day meal plan and recipes. Don’t forget to include your meals that you use a recipe for! Include five or six recipes.
• Don’t overplan! A five-day plan allots for leftovers.
• If you do your grocery shopping on a certain day then plan to have enough meals to get you through that day.
• Look through your ingredients of each recipe and put down on your list only the ingredients you DON’T have at home.
• Add to your grocery list other essentials that may not be part of your recipes – milk, bread, etc.
• Plan around what’s on sale that week.
• Remember that your list should include a list of ingredients for your breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals.
• Go shopping for your groceries!
• Buy ONLY what is on your list
• Don’t forget your coupons.
• Hang your Meal Calendar on the fridge for the week.
• Each day (or the night before) you can look at your plan in order to plan for the next day.
• Your meal calendar can be as organized as an actual calendar or a piece of paper.
Tips to Successful Meal Planning
- Put your grocery list on the fridge and write down things as you run out.
- Write down meal ideas as you think of them, this will help the planning process and won’t be overwhelming.
- Encourage family members to contribute to the planning so they will be more likely to eat what you make.
- Organization is key – organize your recipes, coupons, etc.
- Look for coupons either online and look at the grocery stores ad online or in the newspaper.
- Look through cabinets first to see what you have to make with current ingredients, then plan your meals and grocery list.
Benefits to Meal Planning
- You and your family will be eating healthier and getting a variety of meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Avoid the annoying “What’s for breakfast, lunch or dinner?” question.
- Your family has a say in what they will be eating.
- You will always have the groceries you need, which means you will waste less groceries.
Printable Meal Planners
The best way to eat healthy and save money is by planning your meals. Click on the following links to download and print the meal planning worksheet that best fits your needs:
- Weekly Meal Planning Worksheet: Includes a seven-day week layout plus a blank grocery list.
Weekly Meal Planning Worksheet »
- Month Meal Planning Worksheet: Includes a blank monthly calendar and grocery list.
Monthly Meal Planning Worksheet »
- Three Meals Planning Worksheet: Includes a blank weekly calendar for three meals a day.
Three Meals Planning Worksheet »
Printable Recipe Cards
My Recipe Collection: Create your own recipe card collection by printing these lovely and easy-to-use layouts. Each layout comes with blank spaces in which you can write the name of the recipe, the preparation and cooking time, the ingredients you will need for that specific recipe and directions to cook it. After you print them and you fill them out, place them inside 4” X 6” sheet protectors. Put the sheet protectors inside a binder, place the Recipe Card Cover on the front side of your binder, and voilà!