Did you know that lactose intolerant people can eat yogurt that contains lactose? The National Dairy Council states that, since yogurt has live and active cultures, this helps with digestion, making your body absorb lactose without any side effect. Now that you know this, you can certainly enjoy a delicious banana and yogurt crepe from AllRecipes.com in just 30 minutes.
- 1 ¾ cups fat-free or low-fat lactose-free milk
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) container low-fat banana or vanilla yogurt
- 1 banana, diced
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Whisk together fat-free or low-fat lactose-free milk, flour, egg, egg whites and 1 tablespoon of honey in a medium bowl. Allow batter to rest 5 minutes at room temperature. Heat a 10-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat. Pour 1/4 cup batter into skillet; quickly tilt and swirl batter to coat bottom of skillet. When crepe is lightly browned at edges, use a thin spatula to loosen and turn over. Cook turned crepe about 20 seconds or until lightly browned; slide onto plate to cool. Continue making crepes with remaining batter. To prevent sticking, place a piece of wax paper between each crepe.
- Puree yogurt, vanilla and remaining honey in a blender or food processor until smooth. Add diced banana. Spread each crepe with about 2 1/2 tablespoons of the yogurt mixture. Roll crepes into cylinders. Place 2 crepes on each serving plate and garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.
If you are lactose intolerant, that doesn’t mean you cannot taste delicious dished made up with dairy products. In just 26 minutes, you can prepare some delicious baked mozzarella sticks made with reduced-fat Mozzarella string cheese from AllRepices.com. You’ll love them with no regrets!
- 1 (12 ounce) package reduced-fat mozzarella string cheese
- 1 egg
- 8 tablespoons panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup prepared marinara sauce, warmed (optional)
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Remove cheese from packaging and set aside. In a small bowl, whisk egg until foamy. In small non-stick skillet, mix Italian seasoning with bread crumbs and place over medium heat. Cook and stir bread crumbs until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Dip one piece of string cheese in egg until coated and then into toasted bread crumbs, coating completely. Redip the string cheese in egg and again into the bread crumbs, if desired. Place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining string cheese and place on baking sheet 1 1/2 inches apart. Spray string cheese lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake 5-6 minutes or until heated through. (Cheese may melt slightly and loose shape. Simply press it back into place.)
In our last post, we encouraged you to prepare the Spicy Maryland Crab Dip so you could serve it as an appetizer for your family and friends while watching the upcoming Super Bowl game. But if you want to make your stomach happy, you will also need to cook a tasteful main course. Since the Super Bowl game will take place in New Orleans, why not celebrate it by enjoying one of New Orleans most traditional dishes? In just 30 minutes, you will be able to taste a real flavorful New Orleans dish by preparing a Chicken Po’ Boy from CDKitchen.com:
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless, chicken breasts, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 loaf (8 ounce size) Italian bread split in half vertically
- 4 tablespoons tartar sauce, recipe follows
- 2 cups (4 ounces) shredded iceberg lettuce
- 8 ounces ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
Ingredients for the Tartar Sauce:
- 1 scallion (green onion) trimmed of 2 inches of green
- 1 small sour dill pickle
- 1/4 cup (packed) washed parsley leaves
- 2 cups mayonnaise, low fat or regular
- 1 teaspoon Creole or Dijon mustard
- salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dredge the chicken in bread crumbs. In a large skillet heat the butter. When the foaming subsides, brown the chicken on all sides for about 10 minutes or until cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the chicken is cooking, slice the bread in half vertically and then in half again horizontally and pull out all of the soft bread crumbs to create boat-like shells.
- Spread each “bread boat” with tartar sauce, top with chicken nuggets, then with shredded lettuce and tomato slices. Slice each piece in half again.
*TARTAR SAUCE: In a food processor or blender mince the scallion, pickle and parsley, then puree with mayonnaise and mustard and season with salt and cayenne pepper.
The most expected game of the year is getting closer with each day that goes by. On Sunday, February 3, most of us will take a break from our busy schedules to watch the Baltimore Ravens play with the San Francisco 49ers at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana. This will be a time not only to socialize and enjoy sports, but also taste delicious meals that you can prepare for you and your family. Let’s get ready and learn how to do a delicious spicy Maryland Crab Dip from AllRecipes.com that every Super Bowl lover can’t resist:
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Garlic powder to taste
- ½ cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ¾ pound fresh crabmeat
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- Old Bay Seasoning TM to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly grease a 1 quart baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, garlic powder and about 2 tablespoons of the Cheddar cheese. Fold in crabmeat, hot sauce and 2 tablespoons seafood seasoning.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining Cheddar cheese and seafood seasoning. Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
To make this meal you will need to dedicate 15 minutes for the preparation and 30 minutes for the cooking.
Hot Cocoa in a Jar
It is that time of the year in which everything tastes so sweet, so how about drinking hot cocoa during these chilly days? We bet you will love it!
It is winter time and, if you are like most of us, all you can think of is enjoying a nice cup of hot cocoa. From family dinners to grab-and-go breakfasts, hot cocoa has become one of the most popular drinks for Americans during Holidays. With lovely decorations, handmade jars of hot cocoa are also a great gift you can give to the people you love. By doing so, you can certainly save some money and make someone smile. Follow these easy steps and, in less than 10 minutes, you will have a lovely handmade jar of hot cocoa.
- Buy the following ingredients: Hot cocoa mix, Mini marshmallows, Chocolate chips, Crushed candy canes (optional), A Mason jar
- Put ½ cup of cocoa mix in the bottom of the jar.
- Add 4 teaspoons of your favorite chocolate chips over the cocoa mix.
- Follow the same process with the mini marshmallows, adding 4 teaspoons of them over the chocolate chips.
- Seal the jar with the lid. Decorate with ribbon and include a small handmade card with a creative message.
Voila! You have now a very creative and delicious gift you can give to family, friends, or even your coworkers. A 6 oz. jar of cocoa mix serves for four people.
Once you have finished the jar and you are ready to drink it, follow these easy steps:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of hot cocoa mix with 1 cup of boiling water.
- Serve it in a cup.
- Add 1 teaspoon of chocolate chips and mini marshmallows.